Terra Nova

Terra Nova
New Ground For Your Spiritual Journey

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Reflections on Ministry (pt. 3)

I could not relate to Dr. Lobody in the story she told to illustrate this next point because she talked about what it was like to be a woman and be ordained in the last part of the 20th Century. While I understood what she said, because I am male, I could not completely grasp all the dynamics of her struggles.

But her lesson was much deeper than a gender issue.

This is an issue I have struggled with my entire life, and once again I will turn to Henri Nouwen's amazing little book In The Name of Jesus for some more insight.

Dr. Lobody's lesson was this: We are to be faithful even in the ministry for which we are not remembered.

I remember looking over the time line so beautifully illustrated by the artistic team at the church. I remember seeing all the pictures blown up into huge posters like a life-sized scrapbook detailing the last 5 years of ministry at this young church where I had been serving. The church was only 5 years old and I had been there three and half of those years. We had seen amazing growth and God had done some wonderful things in that community.

But all I noticed was there were not any pictures of me.

I was supposedly someone important, but if you had not been part of this community and only saw this gallery of pictures, you might never know that I had even been there.

At first I was hurt. Then I was mad. Then I realized that maybe I was a little less important than I made myself out to be. God had to remind me that if I was in this vocation for recognition and fame, I needed to leave His service.

Back to Henri Nouwen. Using Jesus' temptation as a model, Nouwen notes that Jesus' second temptation was to be spectacular. Jump off this parapet and let the angels catch you!

In ministry, we often want to be the professional, the expert whose talents and skill save the day and fix everything. We want the people to stand in awe of us as we keep a safe distance from them. We want to be popular.

I want to be remembered.

But that is not our calling. Our calling is more like John the Baptist. I must decrease that He might increase.

We are called to be faithful, not remembered.

Under the Mercy,
Jason

No comments: